Content Designer (Full-time, salaried)
Embodied, Inc. is a technology company with the conviction that the next big wave of technology will be driven by human-machine interfaces that are socially aware and intelligent.
Embodied’s veteran team of technologists, neuroscientists, child development specialists, and creative storytellers have been entirely reinventing human-machine interaction to enable realistic and intuitive interactions similar to humans. Through extensive research, they developed a breakthrough technology platform, SocialX™, that incorporates advanced AI and machine-learning to support fluid conversation, body language, eye contact, and emotions.
The first iteration of this technology is Moxie™, an animated companion for children developed to help promote social, emotional, and cognitive learning. Recognized by TIME magazine as one of the Best Inventions of 2020, Moxie™ has been called “the robot pal you dreamed of as a kid” (Wired Magazine), “the robot that could be your child’s or parent’s new best friend” (Fast Company), and “a technically impressive childhood robot” (TechCrunch). You can learn all about Moxie™ and see how Embodied (one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies of 2021) works at: embodied.com
At Embodied, Content Designers collaborate across disciplines to design, prototype, and build interactions for the company's first robot designed to help kids (ages 5-10) with social emotional learning (SEL). Ideal candidates are self-motivated with strong communication skills and a good sense of judgment regarding conversation, speech, and character performance.
Content Designers will own areas of content and become experts in those areas. Areas include core SEL content, narrative design, generative speech, conversation design, games, engagement systems, and more.
General Responsibilities include:
- Creating innovative content that captures the imagination of children of all ages and improves their social development by working collaboratively with:
- Social development experts to integrate therapeutically enhanced content
- Roboticists to collaborate on content using sensory input
- Engineers to implement unique, entertaining activities
- Producers to ensure smooth delivery of content and function of the team
- Solving complex challenges in a new field for creative exploration
- Having fun and learning while working at a startup with a great team on an incredible mission
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Design and write captivating learning activities that enable users to engage with, develop, and master Social Emotional Learning skills
- Pitch ideas internally to team members and stakeholders that champion best practices and user experiences
- Design experiences for the long term vision of the G.R.L. Creative Universe
- Create activities that explore and take advantage of the full range of the Moxie’s capabilities, including other mediums for learning (physical mailings, the online G.R.L. Portal, etc.)
- Design scoring and feedback systems to enhance learning experiences and provide progress feedback to users and administrators
- Establish effective design templates that can be iterated upon through multiple modules
- Use data to identify and address pain and success points in the experience
- Actively test and iterate on all content to achieve highest standards of overall team execution and user experience
- Revise designs as necessary based on feedback from users, team members, and stakeholders
- Accurately scope upcoming projects, document plans, track progress, report and work with production tools to provide appropriate guidance on design activities and progress
- The desire and ability to create innovative new play patterns using voice, image recognition and/or gesture controls
- Work well within a cross-discipline team: engineering, art, audio, therapy, marketing, etc.
- Strong creative writing skills, adaptable to creating content for children (ages 5-10)
- Comfort working in content creation tools and other technical production tools (Twine, Arcweave, JIRA, git, etc)
- Ability to adapt work to match the project's learning goals, tone, and business needs
- Understanding of game structure and story and how they can integrate effectively
- Familiarity with overseeing content from ideation to execution
- Ability to design, iterate, and revise work under tight deadlines
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Game or Interaction Design experience on 2 or more published projects
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in Game or Interaction Design
- Technical and/or background in complex systems design
- Non-linear scripting experience
- Conversation design experience
- Understanding of educational pedagogy and learning theory for kids (5-10)
- Experience of designing playful interactions for kids (5-10)
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience in the Unity Engine
At Embodied, we support diversity and we are an equal opportunity workplace. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes compensation, health benefits, employee stock options, 401(k) match, flexible PTO, and flexible schedules. We are a dynamic and diverse team that likes to push the status quo.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org