Embedded Systems Engineer
Embedded Systems Engineer
Location: Pasadena, CA or London, UK
Embodied, Inc. is a technology company with the conviction that the next big wave of technology will be driven by human-machine interfaces that are socially aware and intelligent.
Embodied’s veteran team of technologists, neuroscientists, child development specialists, and creative storytellers have been entirely reinventing human-machine interaction to enable realistic and intuitive interactions similar to humans. Through extensive research, they developed a breakthrough technology platform, SocialX™, that incorporates advanced AI and machine-learning to support fluid conversation, body language, eye contact, and emotions.
The first iteration of this technology is Moxie™, an animated companion for children developed to help promote social, emotional, and cognitive learning. Recognized by TIME magazine as one of the Best Inventions of 2020, Moxie™ has been called “the robot pal you dreamed of as a kid” (Wired Magazine), “the robot that could be your child’s or parent’s new best friend” (Fast Company), and “a technically impressive childhood robot” (TechCrunch). You can learn all about Moxie™ and see how Embodied (one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies of 2021) works at: embodied.com
Embodied is looking to add a talented and creative Embedded Systems Engineer to our growing technical team, who is excited to help develop and ensure quality in Moxie’s core hardware and firmware systems and contribute to a revolutionary robot experience for children.
The ideal Embedded Systems Engineer will be a “jack of all trades” who enjoys all aspects of embedded systems: electronic design, firmware development, and electro-mechanical interaction, and who loves to create and innovate at the intersection of these disciplines. Responsibilities will include:
- Working as a member of the hardware and manufacturing teams, designing, prototyping, validating, and bringing to manufacturing electronic circuits and electro-mechanical systems
- Developing firmware drivers and algorithms needed to bring new generations of robot hardware from the R&D to production stage
- Work collaboratively with the Product, Design, and Customer Service teams to create features that delight the children that play with Moxie every day!
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, robotics, or related field
- 2+ years experience in software development for embedded systems
- 2+ years experience in electronic circuit design and troubleshooting
- Experience and fluency in C
- Proficiency from schematic to PCB layout in at least one EDA package
- Comfortable being hands-on with hardware: soldering, assembly, bringup, wiring, testing, etc.
- Great communication skills with both technical and non-technical people
- Collaborative and work well in a cross-disciplinary team environment
- A love for being creative and building amazing electric things!
Great to Have
- Experience developing hardware and/or software for mass-produced products
- Experience with real-time systems, electro-mechanical systems, or robotics
- Comfortable with both object-oriented and procedural programming
- Experience with any of the following: C++, Java, C#, Python
- Familiarity with typical embedded protocols and sensors
- Demonstrated ability to implement algorithms
- Android app or embedded Linux (Raspberry Pi, etc.) development experience
At Embodied, we support diversity and we are an equal opportunity workplace. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes compensation, health benefits, employee stock options, 401(k) match, flexible PTO, and flexible schedules. We are a dynamic and diverse team that likes to push the status quo.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org