Principal Game Engineer
Principal Game Engineer
Embodied, Inc. is a technology company founded by veteran roboticist Paolo Pirjanian (iRobot, Evolution Robotics) with the conviction that the next big wave of technology will be driven by human-machine interfaces that are socially aware and intelligent.
Embodied’s veteran team of technologists, neuroscientists, child development specialists, and creative storytellers have been entirely reinventing human-machine interaction to enable realistic and intuitive interactions similar to humans. Through extensive research, they developed a breakthrough technology platform, SocialX™, that incorporates advanced AI and machine-learning to support fluid conversation, body language, eye contact, and emotions.
The first iteration of this technology is Moxie™, an animated companion for children developed to help promote social, emotional, and cognitive learning. Recognized by TIME magazine as one of the Best Inventions of 2020, Moxie™ has been called “the robot pal you dreamed of as a kid” (Wired Magazine), “the robot that could be your child’s or parent’s new best friend” (Fast Company), and “a technically impressive childhood robot” (TechCrunch). You can learn all about Moxie™ and see how Embodied (one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies of 2021) works at: embodied.com
We are looking for an open-minded creative team player to contribute to a revolutionary robot experience for children by developing unique robot-based gameplay and human-robot interaction for Moxie. Embodied is looking to add an experienced, talented, technically skilled, and creative Senior Game Engineer that works on the robot’s lifelike behavior and performance.
- Design and develop solutions to bring a social robot to life using various game development disciplines: AI, game play, graphics, animations, UI, networking, etc., etc.
- Architect and integrate various systems and tools into existing Unity engine codebase for multiple platforms (Android, Windows, Mac, and Linux).
- Write well-architected, maintainable, and unit-tested code with good coding standards.
- Integrate 3rd party plugins to enhance robot behavior and tooling flexibility
- Maintain and upgrade Unity version and LTS support
- Profile and maintain engine performance on target hardware
- Work collaboratively with:
- Creative team of writers, designers, animators to develop engaging robot content
- Interactivity experts to implement robot features and behaviors.
- Roboticists to efficiently implement recognition and synthesis algorithms.
- Hardware engineers to integrate new sensors and other hardware.
- Have fun & learn while working at a startup with a great team and an incredible mission.
- 5+ years of professional experience in game development with at least one shipped title.
- B.A./B.S. in computer science or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years professional Unity (or equivalent, e.g., Unreal) development experience
- 3+ years professional C# (or equivalent, e.g., C++) experience
- Experience in the design, architecture and implementation of game systems and tools, including AI, animations, game play, game object management, graphics/rendering, UI, game editor tools, build pipelines, and memory management.
- Must be comfortable working and enhancing an established code framework.
- Familiarity with OpenGL, DirectX, or other rendering APIs
- Creative, focused, results-oriented, self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with excellent debugging skills.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively collaborate with an interdisciplinary team
- Working experience in macOS and Windows
- Experience with Android system
- Robotics interaction experience
- Familiar with source code management (e.g., git)
- Programming experience with Java, Python, or similar programming languages
At Embodied, we support diversity and we are an equal opportunity workplace. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes compensation, health benefits, employee stock options, 401(k) match, flexible PTO, and flexible schedules. We are a dynamic and diverse team that likes to push the status quo.
Location: Pasadena, CA. But exceptional remote applicants may be considered.
Contact us: email@example.com