Robot Firmware Engineer
Robot Firmware Engineer
Join our team's mission to create robots that help people reach their full potential!
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
Embodied, Inc.’s mission is to build socially and emotionally intelligent animate companions with believable personality and empathy to enhance our daily lives. We have developed a new platform, SocialX™, that provides a way to use natural human interaction to engage with technology. The first iteration of this technology is Moxie, an animate companion for children developed to help promote social, emotional and cognitive learning. Moxie has been called “the robot pal you dreamed of as a kid” (Wired Magazine), “the sophisticated robot for the curious child” (Wallpaper Magazine), and “a technically impressive childhood robot” (TechCrunch).
Our diverse team of engineers, therapists, and designers is led by experts in robotics, AI and machine learning, entertainment, and consumer electronics. We are financially backed by some of the most prominent corporate and institutional investors including Intel Capital, Toyota AI Ventures, Amazon Alexa Fund, Sony Innovation Fund, JAZZ Venture Partners, Calibrate Ventures, Osage University Partners, Grishin Robotics, and Vulcan Capital.
At Embodied, we support diversity and we are an equal opportunity workplace. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes compensation, health benefits, employee stock options, 401(k) match, flexible PTO, and flexible schedules. We are a dynamic and diverse team that likes to push the status quo. Our work environment is collaborative, flexible, and very supportive of work-life balance.
We are continuing to build an amazing, high-performance team that works hard to innovate, collaborate, and solve complex challenges in order to serve our company mission and goals. We are bold in our vision, relentless in its pursuit, and excited to be discovering new ways to provide positive impact to the families we serve. We are committed to our mission not because it's easy but out of a shared boundless optimism that together we will put a dent in the universe.
Help build the foundation and core systems for Moxie, an advanced social robot. Embodied is looking to add a talented and creative Robot Firmware Engineer to our growing technical team.
- Develop a firmware framework for both MCU and Android systems that synthesizes inputs from a wide variety of sensors and controls a complex robot.
- Collaborate with teammates to troubleshoot and solve system integration issues as the firmware interacts with hardware, software, and content.
- Create and maintain production-ready code including security, test, manufacturing, and bootloader systems.
- Work collaboratively with:
- HRI experts and content designers to implement robot features and behaviors.
- Software engineers to ensure Moxie’s main applications are running smoothly.
- Hardware engineers to help solve tricky issues at Moxie’s hardware layer.
Have fun & learn while working at a startup with a great team and an incredible mission!
B.A./B.S. in CS, EE, CE, Robotics, or related field
- 2+ years professional experience writing production software for embedded systems
- Experience with applications working under real-time constraints
- Experience and fluency in C and C++
- Familiarity with typical protocols and sensors
- Comfortable with both object-oriented and procedural programming
- Excellent communication skills / teamwork / collaboration
- A builder who likes finding creative solutions to tough problems
- Collaborative and work well in a cross-disciplinary team environment
- Single board computer experience (e.g., Raspberry Pi)
- Enjoy being hands-on with complex hardware systems
- Experience customizing an Android or Linux OS
- Demonstrated ability to implement algorithms
- Experience working on an IoT/Cloud-enabled product
- Expertise in developing electromechanical systems / Robotics
- Comfortable in higher level languages (e.g. Java, C#, Python)
Embodied is creating robots to help make the world a better place. Come join us to make an impact!
Please email your resume to: email@example.com