Embodied, Inc. is a technology company founded by veteran roboticist Paolo Pirjanian (iRobot, Evolution Robotics) with the conviction that the next big wave of technology will be driven by human-machine interfaces that are socially aware and intelligent.
Embodied’s veteran team of technologists, neuroscientists, child development specialists, and creative storytellers have been entirely reinventing human-machine interaction to enable realistic and intuitive interactions similar to humans. Through extensive research, they developed a breakthrough technology platform, SocialX™, that incorporates advanced AI and machine-learning to support fluid conversation, body language, eye contact, and emotions.
The first iteration of this technology is Moxie™, an animated companion for children developed to help promote social, emotional, and cognitive learning. Recognized by TIME magazine as one of the Best Inventions of 2020, Moxie™ has been called “the robot pal you dreamed of as a kid” (Wired Magazine), “the robot that could be your child’s or parent’s new best friend” (Fast Company), and “a technically impressive childhood robot” (TechCrunch). You can learn all about Moxie™ and see how Embodied (one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies of 2021) works at: embodied.com
Embodied is looking for a hands-on accounting up and comer with a growth mindset, who is eager to learn and be challenged, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and extremely organized.
The Senior Accountant role is a new position to support the company’s next stage of growth. Reporting to the CFO, this position will be responsible for day-to-day corporate accounting functions, initially focused on financial statement reporting, building out reporting and controls over our supply chain accounting/operations and budgeting and planning. The Senior Accountant will play an important role in supporting the company's growth by working closely with the supply chain, marketing, product, technology and operations teams, to ensure accurate accounting, tracking and reporting of all revenue, inventory, cost of revenue, expense and balance sheet items.
- Perform month-end closing activities including the preparation and review of journal entries, reclassifications, accruals and balance sheet reconciliations (cash, AR, Inventory, prepaids, AP, accrued expenses, fixed assets, depreciation, deferrals, etc.)
- Document key processes and respective controls, identifying areas of remediation/improvement and subsequently working with respective team members to build out best in class processes
- Work closely with outsourced finance & accounting firm and to transfer responsibilities and functions internally
- Own accounting system (QuickBooks) and maintain chart of accounts
- Own and maintain accounting integrations between payroll (Gusto), banking institutions (SVB), Shopify, AP/AR, and employee reimbursements (Expensify)
- Prepare and issue yearly 1099's
- Prepare monthly P&L, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow statement for internal/external reporting
- Analyze MoM actuals vs. plan, understanding and documenting cause of change
- Work closely with CFO and various team leads to build out yearly plan, monthly budget/reforecasting, and cash flow forecasting
- Track and communicate various business and revenue KPIs
- Package and submit monthly, quarterly and year compliance requests
- Working with the CFO, ensure all debt covenants are met
- Maintain open lines of communication with auditors and various investors, lenders and board members as needed
- Administer expense reimbursements and corporate credit card program, reviewing employee expense reports for accuracy and policy compliance, and release payments
- Ensure timely state filings and keep records up to date
- 3-5 years in a general accounting or audit/assurance role
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and accrual-based accounting
- Strong software skillset (Excel Pro, QuickBooks or other ERP, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Desire and aptitude to work in fast-paced startup environment, easily adaptable in evolving situations while maintaining the ability to meet deadlines as required
- Demonstrated self-starter with an entrepreneur mindset (in prior work and academics)
- Team-oriented attitude to work collaboratively across multiple projects and departments
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong work ethic and flexibility to work extended hours during critical periods such as month-end, year-end and fundraising
- Public Accounting experience
- CPA certification
- Experience working on an ERP implementation
At Embodied, we support diversity and we are an equal opportunity workplace. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes compensation, health benefits, employee stock options, 401(k) match, flexible PTO, and flexible schedules. We are a dynamic and diverse team that likes to push the status quo.
Location: Pasadena, CA
Reports to: CFO
Employment Type: Full-time
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org