Senior Designer (Full-time, salaried)
Senior Designer (Full-time, salaried)
Embodied, Inc. is a technology company with the conviction that the next big wave of technology will be driven by human-machine interfaces that are socially aware and intelligent.
Embodied’s veteran team of technologists, neuroscientists, child development specialists, and creative storytellers have been entirely reinventing human-machine interaction to enable realistic and intuitive interactions similar to humans. Through extensive research, they developed a breakthrough technology platform, SocialX™, that incorporates advanced AI and machine-learning to support fluid conversation, body language, eye contact, and emotions.
The first iteration of this technology is Moxie™, an animated companion for children developed to help promote social, emotional, and cognitive learning. Recognized by TIME magazine as one of the Best Inventions of 2020, Moxie™ has been called “the robot pal you dreamed of as a kid” (Wired Magazine), “the robot that could be your child’s or parent’s new best friend” (Fast Company), and “a technically impressive childhood robot” (TechCrunch). You can learn all about Moxie™ and see how Embodied (one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies of 2021) works at: embodied.com
At Embodied, Senior Designers collaborate across disciplines to design, prototype, and build interactions for the company's first robot designed to help kids (ages 5-10) with social emotional learning (SEL). Ideal candidates are self-motivated with strong communication skills and a good sense of judgment regarding conversation, speech, and character performance.
Senior Designers will own areas of content and become experts in those areas. Areas include core SEL content, narrative design, generative speech, conversation design, games, engagement systems, and more.
General Responsibilities include:
- Creating innovative content that captures the imagination of children of all ages and improves their social development by working collaboratively with:
- Social development experts to integrate therapeutically enhanced content
- Roboticists to collaborate on content using sensory input
- Engineers to implement unique, entertaining activities
- Solving complex challenges in a new field for creative exploration
- Having fun and learning while working at a startup with a great team on an incredible mission
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Design engaging learning modules for Moxie that captivate users and enable them to master key Social Emotional Learning points
- Design modules that contribute to the long term vision of the GRL Creative Universe
- Establish effective design templates that can be iterated upon through multiple modules
- Creatively innovate design features that distinguish Embodied's unique experiences
- Create modules that take full advantage of the capabilities of an Embodied robot (Moxie), or other connected mediums of learning (physical mailings or the connected kids’ portal)
- Design scoring and feedback systems to enhance learning experiences and provide progress feedback to users and administrators
- Accurately scope upcoming projects, document plans, track progress, report and work with production tools to provide appropriate guidance on design activities and progress
- Work with team members and collaborators to identify learning pain points and identify possible solutions
- Work collaboratively in a team of other designers, producers, writers and artists to realize high impact high quality design goals
- Work with subject matter experts to translate their knowledge and expertise into engaging Social Emotional Learning experiences
- Revise designs as necessary based on feedback from users, team members, and stakeholders
- Pitch ideas internally to team members and stakeholders and champion best practices and user experiences
- Actively test and iterate on all content to achieve highest standards of overall team execution and user experience
- Game Design experience on 4 or more published projects
- 7+ years of progressively responsible experience in the area of Game Design (10 years preferred)
- The desire and ability to create innovative new play patterns using voice, image recognition and/or gesture controls
- Strong writing skills for creating original content for children (ages 5-10)
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Work well within a cross-discipline team: engineering, art, audio, therapy, marketing, etc.
- Familiarity with overseeing content from creation to execution
- Ability to manage priorities
- Understanding of game structure and story and how they can integrate effectively
- Ability to adapt design to match a project's tone, business requirements, and learning goals
- Ability to design, iterate and revise work under tight deadlines
- Comfortable working scripting tools and other technical production tools
- Technical and/or background in complex systems design
- Non-linear scripting experience
- Conversational design experience
- Understanding of educational pedagogy and learning theory for kids (5-10)
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience of designing games for kids (5-10)
- Experience in the Unity Engine
At Embodied, we support diversity and we are an equal opportunity workplace. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes compensation, health benefits, employee stock options, 401(k) match, flexible PTO, and flexible schedules. We are a dynamic and diverse team that likes to push the status quo.
Contact us: email@example.com