Technical Program Manager (TPM)
Technical Program Manager (TPM)
Embodied, Inc. is a technology company with the conviction that the next big wave of technology will be driven by human-machine interfaces that are socially aware and intelligent.
Embodied’s veteran team of technologists, neuroscientists, child development specialists, and creative storytellers have been entirely reinventing human-machine interaction to enable realistic and intuitive interactions similar to humans. Through extensive research, they developed a breakthrough technology platform, SocialX™, that incorporates advanced AI and machine-learning to support fluid conversation, body language, eye contact, and emotions.
The first iteration of this technology is Moxie™, an animated companion for children developed to help promote social, emotional, and cognitive learning. Recognized by TIME magazine as one of the Best Inventions of 2020, Moxie™ has been called “the robot pal you dreamed of as a kid” (Wired Magazine), “the robot that could be your child’s or parent’s new best friend” (Fast Company), and “a technically impressive childhood robot” (TechCrunch). You can learn all about Moxie™ and see how Embodied (one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies of 2021) works at: embodied.com
Embodied is looking for a motivated, data-driven Technical Program Manager (TPM), to help organize and manage software development and regular content delivery for our core robotic product line, Moxie. In addition, the role will help manage new hardware/software product programs with external contract manufacturers. You will own Agile planning and development schedules and will seek opportunities for process and organizational improvement to increase efficiency and raise quality.
We are looking for a highly organized, collaborative team-player with strong communication skills and an ability to influence peers. The ideal candidate is comfortable managing ambiguity, is highly data-centric, can recommend efficient approaches to complex problems, and can deliver quality solutions on time.
- Manage the development schedule and build execution of a team of software engineers and content developers that are creating regular Moxie software releases.
- Partner with department heads and technical leads to assess projects, plan sprint cycles, gain stakeholder buy-in, and maximize development productivity.
- Assist internal mech/elec engineering and manufacturing teams with the management of new product development programs with external suppliers and contract manufacturers.
- Generate essential documentation, schedules, reports, and regularly communicate project/program plan and status to management and cross-functional teams.
- Identify potential risk, roadblocks and dependencies, work with the team to discover resolutions that minimize impact to schedule, resources, or scope.
- Promote a data-driven decision process by working closely with the data analytics team.
- Communicate potential problems early, along with resolution options.
- Manage projects using task management software and oversee a development process that is a blend of agile methodologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related field, with a strong software focus.
- 5+ years industry experience in technical program management or engineering management.
- Strong software and hardware systems engineering knowledge.
- Interest in solving user-centric problems and launching useful, insightful features.
- Experience in agile and waterfall methodologies required.
- Iterative software build and release experience across the product lifecycle is essential.
- Strong experience with Confluence, Jira, GitHub, and common data analytics packages.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, technical leadership, and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral, written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong technical aptitude with a demonstrated ability to communicate complex problems effectively across the technical and non-technical groups within an organization.
- Excellent program and process management skills.
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) qualification.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) qualification.
- Machine learning, AI, or robotics industry experience desired.
- Experience working with Voice Recognition or Natural Language Processing technologies a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of common child mental, development and behavioral disorders.
At Embodied, we support diversity and we are an equal opportunity workplace.
Location: Pasadena, CA. But exceptional remote applicants may be considered.
Seniority Level: Staff Level
Reports to: Head of Technology / Engineering
Employment Type: Full-time
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org